As I mentioned in my last episode of the Tiny House Lifestyle Podcast, I just finished teaching a two week design/build course at Yestermorrow Design/Build School in Waitsfield, Vermont. Working alongside other talented instructors was an inspiring experience for me, and a highlight was being able to work with students on framing and sheathing a tiny house on wheels. Teaching this course reminded me how challenging it can be to properly build your tiny house around the wheels of a trailer, so I decided to do a solo episode all about trailers! We’re going to be talking about trailer terminology, different styles of trailers, and also which types of trailers I recommend for building your tiny house on wheels.
In This Episode:
- How many axles do I need?
- GVWR: Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
- Wheel wells and fenders. What are they and how will they affect your design?
- Should you buy a new trailer, or is a used trailer alright?
- What sets tiny house trailers apart from utility trailers?
- Drop Axle Trailers
- Deck Over Trailers
- Gooseneck Trailers
- The bad, the good, and the best framing options.
- Which accessories are necessary and which are nice to have?
- Different types of jacks
- My favorite resources about trailers and towing
Links and Resources:
- Compilation of Existing State Truck Size and Weight Limit Laws
- Trailer Life Guide to Towing
- Tiny house Trailer Review
- Towing Your Tiny House
This week's Sponsor:
Strategic Insurance Agency
Early on in the tiny house movement, getting insurance for your home was incredibly difficult. Strategic Insurance Agency now offers homeowners style insurance for movable and ground-bound tiny houses in all 50 states.
That means you can get covered for fire, theft, liability, personal property, and more. People often pour their life savings into buying or building a tiny house, and Strategic Insurance Agency can help you protect that investment. They even cover your house if you want to try short term rentals like Airbnb, and offer special insurance for tiny house builders as well.
The best part is that it’s super easy to get a quote. Head over to mystrategicinsurance.com/thlp to get a quick, free quote for insuring your tiny home. And, for every tiny house policy written, Strategic Insurance Agency will be donating $5 to a tiny house charity of your choice.
Again, that’s mystrategicinsurance.com/thlp for a free tiny house insurance quote. Thank you so much to my strategic insurance for sponsoring the show!