Jonathan Avery of Tiny House Scotland has developed an ingenious system (NestHouse) for building moveable, modular tiny houses. Jonathan shares his philosophy on carpentry and design, and we explore the tiny house scene in Scotland and the United Kingdom.
Listen to this episode
In This Episode:
- From building furniture to building tiny homes: Jonathan’s tiny house journey
- The difference between a big business and personal artistic expression
- How do the modules in the Nest House work?
- The tiny house movement in other countries, workshops, building, and safety regulations
- Scotland and the legalities of tiny houses
- Helping the homeless with Social Bite
- The UK’s housing crisis parallels that of the US
Links and Resources:
- Tiny House Community Bristol
- Social Bite
- Lloyd Kahn’s Shelter Publications
- Centre for Alternative Technology in Wales
- Guest Bio:
Jonathan Avery founded Tiny House Scotland in February 2014 and has designed two forms of tiny house: the NestHouse™ which is a moveable modular system and the NestPod™ which has its own road-going trailer. Jonathan is a designer craftsman with over 30 years experience and he designs and builds two to three unique tiny houses or living wagons a year to client commission. He calls his work the Fine Art of Moveable Micro Architecture.
This week's Sponsors:
Tiny Tuesdays Newsletter
The Tiny Tuesdays Newsletter is a round up of everything I’ve been writing, producing, and reading about the tiny house movement in the past week. Each newsletter includes the latest episode of the Tiny House Lifestyle Podcast, any new blog posts or articles that I’ve published, and any news stories that I’m tracking about the tiny house movement that I think you’d be interested in. It’s super helpful and informative… and it’s completely free!
To sign up, go to thetinyhouse.net/quiz where you can take the quiz to find out which type of tiny house you are. After you’ve taken the quiz, you’ll be automatically signed up to receive the Tiny Tuesdays Newsletter.
I can’t wait to share my latest thinking with you!