What do you do when you can't afford to buy a house in the place you grew up? My guest Zeena Fontanilla and her husband built a DIY Gooseneck Tiny House and now live completely off-grid and mortgage free.
Zeena, her husband Shane and 17 month old son Maverick live in a 360 square foot tiny house. This DIY family designed and built their dream home in a small package to beat the expensive housing market in Hawaii.
In This Episode:
- Why a tiny house was Zeena’s only option for living where she grew up
- Are tiny homes legal in Hawaii?
- How and why you would build your own tiny house trailer
- How long does it take to build your own tiny house trailer?
- How a gooseneck design helped Zeena and her husband transition to adding a third resident (Maverick) in the tiny house
- How Zeena found land to park her tiny house on Maui
- How Zeena and her husband built their own fresh-water catchment tank
- Living on solar power in Hawaii
Links and Resources:
- Dwell Article Feature with Budget Breakdown
- How to Comply with Trailer House Laws in Hawaii
- Fabricating our Tiny House Trailer
- Eco Products Maui Water Tanks
Video Tour of Zeena's Tiny House:
House and Systems Photos:
Guest Website and Social: