Justin and Bianca Metz live in a 240sf tiny home with their toddler, Bodhi. The journey to living tiny was anything but smooth. After a terrible experience towing the house which resulted in a $7000 towing bill, finding parking wasn't easy. They are now living as land stewards in trade for tiny house parking. Living tiny has enabled Bianca and Justin to live in more connection with nature, and we cover it all in this interview, from permaculture to parking, to parenting.
In This Episode:
- After looking at many, many options, the Metz family decided on a tiny house on wheels
- Finding insurance for a tiny house and the stipulations they had to follow
- How they financed their tiny house
- The difficult road home – towing problems with the tiny house
- Justin and Bianca's advice for buying a tiny house
- What does a land steward do and how does the arrangement work?
- How Bianca is working to help change the laws to allow for tiny houses
- A sense of ownership and of giving back to the land
- Teaching your child through purposeful work and time together
Links and Resources:
- kijiji in Canada
- The Co-operators Insurance
- Tiny House Decisions by Ethan Waldman
- On Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau
- Retro Suburbia: The Downshifter's Guide to a Resilient Future by David Holmgren
Justin and Bianca Metz
Justin and Bianca Metz, along with their toddler Bodhi embarked on a life-changing journey, moving into their 240 square foot tiny house on 6 acres of land in Ontario Canada. Justin teaches at a land-based Adolescent Montessori School, however, it was his extensive experience as a Wilderness Canoe guide and love for the natural world that sparked their “tiny” journey. They wanted a simpler, slower life, connected to nature and conscious of their eco-footprint. Sustainable living is their ultimate goal, and living tiny serves this. Bianca is an entrepreneur, Founder of The Giving Tree Family, as a Simple Living Specialist and Downsizing expert she coaches families on ways to live simple sustainable lifestyles.
This Week's Sponsor:
Color Me Tiny
Are you fascinated with the tiny lifestyle, but not sure if living in one is for you? Relax and let your tiny dreams run wild while you color 15 unique tiny homes, inside and out. Coloring is the perfect activity for being stuck at home, especially after you've watched everything on Netflix.
The Color Me Tiny coloring book includes a variety of tiny houses on wheels and the beautiful nature that surrounds them. The images all come from real photos that highlight the broad range of tiny house shapes and sizes. Each featured home also includes an interior scene to show what it’s like to live in a tiny house day after day.
So, if you want to color a tiny vardo on the beach, a cozy tiny house on wheels nestled in the snow, or several homes that feature their four-legged occupants, *Color Me Tiny* is for you! Color me tiny is on sale for just $9.99 and ships free via Amazon Prime! Learn more at thetinyhouse.net/color.
Room for toys and books in the tiny house
All decorated for winter
Justin and Bodhi in the greenhouse
Towing the tiny house
Clothing, toy, and book storage
Kitchen counter and shelves
The tiny house