Today's episode is all about how to control heat flow, air flow, moisture, and air quality in your tiny house.
Corbett Lunsford is the perfect person to talk about it because he's both a high performance building expert AND lives in a tiny house he designed and built!
Corbett and his wife Grace created and co-host the first TV series about home performance, called Home Diagnosis, which airs on PBS stations nationwide. It features their TinyLab, which they designed and built (and still live in 3 years later) to teach homeowners about the invisible dynamics of physics and chemistry in homes of all sizes.
In This Episode:
- Why are tiny houses so exciting when it comes to building a high performance home?
- Why air quality is so important in tiny homes
- What is a high performance building: The 4-3-2-1 system
- What are the 4 elements to home performance?
- What are the 3 recommendations for any home (old, new, tiny or large)
- What are the 2 systems at work inside of your space that affect the performance successes and failures?
- What is the 1 goal for doing all of this?
- How do you figure out these performance goals while you’re designing your home, rather than once it’s built?
- How to mitigate the negative pressure that a bathroom vent fan or kitchen hood causes?
- What resources does Corbett recommend to start incorporating high performance design into their tiny homes?
- Why Corbett is NOT a fan of spray foam or rigid foam products?
- Why too much insulation is almost as bad as too little insulation
- What can you do to mitigate home performance issues after your house is built?
Links and Resources:
- How to Explain Home Performance Using 4-3-2-1
- Tiny Lab- High Performance Tiny Home Playlist
- Home Performance for Tiny Spaces Course
- Caravan: Tiny House Hotel
- Tiny Home Builders Workshop
This Week's Sponsor:
The Tiny House Lifestyle Podcast is sponsored this week by the Tiny House Design Build Certificate at Yestermorrow in Waitsfield, Vermont. The Tiny House Design/Build Certificate is for everyone from professionals entering the tiny house market to DIY’ers who want to design and build their own tiny home. This is THE most comprehensive Tiny House course available, the curriculum covers all the must-knows for tiny house design/build and offers students hands-on experience designing and drafting their own tiny house and building a tiny house on wheels for a real client.
To learn more, visit yestermorrow.org/tiny. Use the coupon code podcast to waive the $25 application fee. Thank you to Yestermorrow for sponsoring the show show!